General guidance documents:
- Outlining the roles and responsibilities of HPA, local authorities and DWI (PDF 227KB);
- Outlining the roles and responsibilities for the protection of drinking water sources (PDF 210KB)
- Action that can be taken in relation to a private supply which does not comply with the nitrate standard (PDF 188KB);
- Guide to the assessment of UV disinfection systems for local authorities (PDF 91KB)
- Guide to the selection of UV disinfection systems for households (PDF 44 KB)
- Guidance on the methodology for residual chlorine measurement
- Managing Insufficiency of private water supplies (PDF 107KB)
- Guidance is available from the Environment Agency on good borehole design.(PDF 8.93MB)
- The World Health Organisation have produced a field guide to help those involved in small scale (mainly rural) water supply systems develop water safety plans.
- The WHO Technical Brief: Boil Water (PDF726KB) sets out the science behind a boil water notice
- The house buyers check list (PDF 95KB) is for prospective buyers of properties/homes on private water supplies.
- Possible causes of contamination and mitigation measures are outlined in Protecting your Supply (PDF 86KB)
- Questions and Answers for the monitoring of radon (PDF 76KB)
- A selection of PWS Schematics that highlight types of records that should be kept regarding private water supplies
- Likely sources of individual parameters (PDF 26KB)
- Flowchart on deciding types of supplies (excluding Reg 8 supplies) - ENGLAND ONLY
- Flowchart on deciding types of supplies (excluding Reg 8 supplies) - WALES ONLY
Regulation 8 supplies
Materials in contact with drinking water
List of approved products for use in public water supplies
Transitional List of approved products for use in private water supplies
Templates and worked examples
The information required to be submitted by local authorities is set out in the following three Annexes:
- Annex 1 (xls 447KB) : An Excel file containing local authority data
- Annex 2 (xls 406KB) : Worked example
- Annex 3 (PDF 210KB) : Worksheet Specification
Notices and worked examples
- Section 80 template (Word 27KB)
- Example of a competed Section 80 Notice (Word 25KB) for insufficiency
- Template for Regulation 18 Notice (England (Word 39KB)) and Regulation 20 Notice (Wales (Word 38KB))
- Example Regulation 18 Notice for arsenic (England (Word 41KB)) and Example Regulation 20 Notice (Wales (Word 41KB))
The PWS Information Pack (Word 1.1MB) can be used to help gather information from private supply relevant person(s) ahead of any planned risk assessment
DWI has produced an Action Plan look up table (PDF 776KB) listing common mitigation measures to aid the risk assessment.
There are two private water supply risk assessment tools to assist local authorities undertake risk assessments of Regulation 8, 9 and 10 private water supplies.
- Regulation 8 supplies only (Excel 624KB), and Explanatory Notes (PDF 190KB)
- Regulation 9, 10 (and 8) (Excel 824KB), and Explanatory Notes (PDF 212KB)
- Risk assessment lite (condensed version for Regulation 9 and 10 supplies) (Excel 728KB)
To aid local authorities in conducting this duty the Inspectorate has produced a sampling manual which outlines all the required information to ensure regulatory monitoring requirements are met by way of standard best practice.
Page reviewed: 22 November 2017
Page modified: 29 January 2018